Clean Air Asia is an international non-governmental organization leading the regional mission for better air quality, and healthier, more livable cities throughout Asia. Our mission is to reduce air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions in Asia and contribute to the development of a more sustainable, equitable and healthier region. We empower governments and cities by inspiring action and focusing efforts on the planning and implementation of solutions at scale, fostering regional cooperation to address issues of mutual concern, and ensuring the integration of air quality management across sectors and institutions. Our work focuses on implementing solutions that reduce air pollution, its detrimental health impacts and mitigate the climate crisis. We do so by providing policy guidance, building capacity, and making a compelling case for action among stakeholders at city, national, and regional levels. Since 2008, we have been a United Nations-recognized partnership comprised of more than 250 organizations in Asia and internationally, with six Country Networks (Indonesia, Malaysia, Nepal, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, and Vietnam). Our headquarters are in Manila, Philippines, and we have offices in Beijing, China, and New Delhi, India.
We are currently recruiting for a fixed-term, full-time Researcher under consultancy contract based in Indonesia to join our dynamic team at Clean Air Asia. A self-motivated and independent individual with technical knowledge and skills in environmental management, including topics such as air quality, climate change, clean energy, and industries. We are interested in applicants with strong interest in policy research, capacity building and training, and stakeholder engagement, and with experience in project management.
II. JOB PURPOSE
The Researcher will provide technical expertise on air quality and air quality management in the development and implementation of Clean Air Asia’s programs and projects.
III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE OF WORK
Under the direct supervision of the Indonesia National Coordinator, the Researcher will work mainly on a project that will support the development of a clean air action plan (CAAP) for a selected Indonesian city as well as improve its capacity for air quality management. The development of a city CAAP will be conducted in close collaboration with the city planning and environmental agencies. The CAAP development process will take on an evidence-based approach and involve stakeholder consultations to ensure that CAAP is founded on both data and stakeholder input. The Researcher will be responsible for:
- Coordination with Clean Air Asia project team and its consultants as part of project execution
- Coordination with consultants as they carry out their respective roles, responsibilities, and tasks
- Coordination with the city government, community members, and key stakeholders throughout the development of the CAAP
- Leading or supporting the organization of meetings, consultations, and capacity building activities as part of the clean air action planning process, together with the Clean Air Asia project team
- Drafting the city CAAP under the guidance of the Clean Air Asia project team and consultants
- Ensuring project delivery is consistent with the project proposal and workplan
- Project monitoring and reporting
- Performing other roles and tasks in relation to the project
- Supporting the implementation of other projects under Clean Air Asia’s Policy, Research, and Outreach Program as assigned by the Capacity Development Officer and Program Manager
IV. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS AND CRITERIA
- A bachelor’s degree in Atmospheric Science, Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Policy, Chemistry, Meteorology, Engineering or any related discipline. Relevant Master’s degree is an advantage.
- Minimum 2-3 years of combined experience working on different areas of environmental management and sustainable development, including but not limited to air quality, climate change, energy, policy research and guidance, capacity building, urban development, monitoring and assessment. International exposure on air quality and climate change-related work is an advantage.
- Capable of representing Clean Air Asia on meetings and workshops
- Experience in project management and stakeholder coordination
- Well-developed interpersonal, communication and stakeholder liaison skills with experience in networking and establishing and maintaining relationships with partners at different levels (ministry, donors, private sector, NGOs and local community-based organizations).
- Fluent in spoken and written English and Bahasa; with strong written, analytical, presentation and reporting skills.
- Strong technical writing skills, with the ability to do research, analyze data and properly cite publications is essential.
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work independently and as part of multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team
- Team player with the ability to contribute more widely to the direction of Clean Air Asia’s air quality and transport-related programs
- Ability to regularly travel to Tangerang and/or Jakarta for meetings and events (preferably based in those cities)
V. DURATION, REMUNERATION and OTHER BENEFITS
The Consultant will be engaged for one year under a full-time consultancy contract. The contract is subject to renewal based on the Consultant’s performance. The remuneration is competitive but may vary subject to the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience.