Clean Air Asia is an international non-governmental organization leading the regional mission for better air quality and healthier, more livable cities throughout Asia. Our mission is to reduce air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions in Asia and contribute to developing a more sustainable, equitable, and healthier region. We empower governments and cities by inspiring action and focusing efforts on planning and implementing solutions at scale, fostering regional cooperation to address issues of mutual concern, and ensuring the integration of air quality management across sectors and institutions. Our work focuses on implementing solutions that reduce air pollution and its detrimental health impacts and mitigate the climate crisis. We do so by providing policy guidance, building capacity, and making a compelling case for action among stakeholders at the city, national, and regional levels. Since 2008, we have been a United Nations-recognized partnership comprised of more than 250 organizations in Asia and internationally, with six Country Networks (Indonesia, Malaysia, Nepal, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, and Vietnam). Our headquarters are in Manila, Philippines, and we have offices in Beijing, China, and New Delhi, India.
An exciting opportunity for the right person to work for an international NGO for better air quality across Asia has arisen. We are looking for a dynamic and self-motivated individual interested in maritime transportation and port operations and demonstrable project management and delivery skills. The role will involve working with individual staff and teams within a multicultural organization and with key external stakeholders.
II. RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE OF WORK
The Research Assistant (Consultant) will support the research and coordination requirements of Clean Air Asia’s initiative to reduce maritime transport (shipping and ports) emissions.
Under the direct supervision of the Transport Specialist, the primary duties of the Consultant include:
- Support in researching, compiling, organizing, reviewing, and analyzing relevant policies and programs being implemented per stakeholder/port authority.
- Support the data collection (surveys and interviews) and analysis of the project and translate the results into suitable public communication materials.
- Collect other relevant information on the maritime transport sector (shipping and ports) in Asian countries and track current programs for reducing emissions from the sector.
- Consolidate information on stakeholders from local coordinators.
- Participate in meetings, webinars, and workshops with stakeholders from government agency department heads, academia, community leaders, port authorities, and other port stakeholders.
- Lead pre- and post-meeting/workshop/engagement arrangements, including the drafting, completing, and finalizing workshop agenda and reports, in coordination with relevant Clean Air Asia team member/s.
- Coordinate and track the progress of national coordinators in stakeholder consultation, data gathering, and other relevant local activities of the project
- Schedule meetings with national coordinators and regional experts when required.
- Support the team and act as a focal point in workshops, webinars, or seminars on the project.
- Support the team in drafting, completing, and finalizing the final report of the project
In performing these responsibilities, the Consultant is expected to coordinate with other staff as needed.
III. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS AND CRITERIA
- University degree in Urban Planning, Environmental Science, Environmental Management, Environmental Engineering, Engineering, or any related discipline. An advanced degree in the aforementioned field is an advantage.
- Has at least 1 to 3 years of experience in project implementation and stakeholder coordination related to city development, sustainable transport planning, and climate change mitigation
- Experience in project management and writing reports is a must.
- Has experience in the conduct and analysis of research data gathering (questionnaire and interview surveys)
- Experience working with the maritime transport sector is an advantage.
- Has excellent written, verbal communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office applications required; capability in using statistical software is an advantage.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Team player with the ability to contribute more widely to the direction of Clean Air Asia’s program.
IV. DURATION, REMUNERATION and OTHER BENEFITS
The Consultant will be engaged until 31 October 2023 under a full-time consultancy contract. The remuneration is competitive but may vary subject to the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience.