Clean Air Asia is an international non-governmental organization leading the regional mission for better air quality and healthier, more liveable cities throughout Asia. Our mission is to reduce air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions in Asia and contribute to developing a more sustainable, equitable, and healthier region. We empower governments and cities by inspiring action and focusing efforts on planning and implementing solutions at scale, fostering regional cooperation to address issues of mutual concern, and ensuring the integration of air quality management across sectors and institutions. Our work focuses on implementing solutions that reduce air pollution and its detrimental health impacts and mitigate the climate crisis. We do so by providing policy guidance, building capacity, and making a compelling case for action among stakeholders at the city, national, and regional levels. Since 2008, we have been a United Nations-recognized partnership comprised of more than 250 organizations in Asia and internationally, with six Country Networks (Indonesia, Malaysia, Nepal, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, and Vietnam). Our headquarters are in Manila, Philippines, and we have offices in Beijing, China, and New Delhi, India.
An exciting opportunity for the right person to work for an international NGO for better air quality across Asia has arisen. We are looking for a dynamic and self-motivated individual with a strong interest in maritime transportation and port operations and demonstrable project management and delivery skills. The role will involve working with individual staff and teams within a multicultural organization and with key external stakeholders.
Clean Air Asia is looking for a Port Operations Expert who will provide technical expertise in reviewing emission reduction measures at ports. The Consultant will also provide technical advice to strengthen Clean Air Asia’s position on the region's current and emerging air quality and climate change issues, especially on the maritime transportation sector’s emission contributions.
II. RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE OF WORK
Under the direct supervision of Clean Air Asia’s Sustainable Transport Lead and Transport Specialist, the Consultant will work primarily work towards increasing awareness of reducing emissions at ports of selected Asian countries. The duties of the Consultant will include:
- Review different emission reduction measures in the maritime (ports and shipping) transportation sector
- Keep up-to-date with the latest practices, tools, and knowledge on maritime transportation.
- Assess the methodological process for determining port priorities to minimize emissions at ports
- Serve as subject matter expertise on emission reduction measures at ports and recommend applicable approaches for implementing relevant measures in participating ports
- Contribute to a webinar/panel discussion on emission reduction schemes at ports to be attended by different port authorities across Asia
- Contribute to writing the report for the index that will assess the emission reduction programs and policies at ports that were evaluated in the project.
III. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS AND CRITERIA
- University degree in Urban Planning, Environmental Science, Environmental Management, Environmental Engineering, Engineering, or any related discipline. An advanced degree in the aforementioned field is an advantage.
- Proven track record in investigating or implementing programs that target emissions at ports, including, but not limited to:
- Alternate fuels for marine transportation
- Electric/hybrid port equipment (e.g., tugboats, cargo handling equipment)
- Emissions inventory and pollution control at ports
- Sustainable port operations or practices
- Has demonstrated experience working with various port authorities
- Has excellent written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills
IV. DURATION, REMUNERATION and OTHER BENEFITS
The Consultant will be engaged until 31 October 2023 under a lumpsum intermittent consultancy contract. The remuneration is competitive but may vary subject to the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience.