Clean Air Asia is an international non-governmental organization leading the regional mission for better air quality and healthier, more liveable cities throughout Asia. Our mission is to reduce air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions in Asia and contribute to developing a more sustainable, equitable, and healthier region. We empower governments and cities by inspiring action and focusing efforts on planning and implementing solutions at scale, fostering regional cooperation to address issues of mutual concern, and ensuring the integration of air quality management across sectors and institutions. Our work focuses on implementing solutions that reduce air pollution and its detrimental health impacts and mitigate the climate crisis. We do so by providing policy guidance, building capacity, and making a compelling case for action among stakeholders at the city, national, and regional levels. Since 2008, we have been a part of a United Nations-recognized partnership comprised of more than 250 organizations in Asia and internationally, with six Country Networks (Indonesia, Malaysia, Nepal, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, and Vietnam). Our headquarters are in Manila, Philippines, and we have offices in Beijing, China, and New Delhi, India.
Clean Air Asia is implementing various electric mobility initiatives in different countries in Asia. In the Philippines, we are currently supporting cities in adopting sustainable e-mobility solutions. We are also supporting the cities in their sustainable transition through the institutionalization of processes and policies that enable the wider adoption of electric vehicles. As part of the process of sustaining these solutions, lessons from these city pilot implementations will be documented to inform and streamline the adoption of electric vehicles in the Philippines. Clean Air Asia is bringing these city-level lessons through an initiative that integrates electric mobility projects and pilots, particularly 2&3 wheelers, in the Philippines’ framework on Measurement, Reporting, and Verification (MRV) of climate change-related projects.
We are looking for a dynamic and self-motivated individual interested in supporting the organization’s initiatives in electric mobility in the Philippines. The role will involve working with individual staff and teams within a multicultural organization and with key external stakeholders.
II. JOB PURPOSE
The National E-Mobility Expert (Consultant) will support Clean Air Asia’s electric mobility initiatives in the Philippines. Specifically, the Consultant will contribute to the following:
- Developing a guidance document to prepare electric mobility projects for MRV compliance based on local experience.
- Coordinating meetings with relevant authorities of the Philippines to provide inputs on implementing a standard MRV tool that will contribute to tracking the progress of national GHG emissions.
III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE OF WORK
Under the direct supervision of the Sustainable Transport Lead, the primary duties of the Consultant include:
- Review and provide technical inputs to the research on the latest policies related to the Philippine electric vehicle (EV) roadmap and e-mobility
- Review and provide technical inputs to stocktaking of national agency mandates and activities for the Enhanced Transparency Framework and other GHG tracking
- Develop a policy document for a national MRV framework which will include e-mobility initiatives that:
- Identifies institutional gaps and recommend solutions that will strengthen the Enhanced Transparency Framework for GHG tracking,
- Recommends technical solutions that will support the inclusion of e-mobility initiatives in the national MRV framework (with a focus on E2W and E3W),
- Recommends national and industry-level recordkeeping and data-sharing for GHG accounting
- Recommends a data collection approach for local governments to enable the tracking of e-mobility impact initiatives.
- Review a policy advice paper, provide technical input, and recommend actions for city authorities to support the adoption of electric vehicles at the city level
- Participate in meetings and consultations with relevant stakeholders and government agencies related to the development of a national MRV framework that includes e-mobility
- Participate in the Better Air Quality Conference (2023) as a speaker in one of the sessions in e-mobility
In performing these responsibilities, the Consultant is expected to coordinate with other staff as needed.
IV. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS AND CRITERIA
- University degree in Urban Planning, Environmental Science, Environmental Management, Environmental Engineering, Engineering, or any related discipline. An advanced degree in the aforementioned field is an advantage.
- Has worked on projects relating to electric mobility, city development, sustainable transport planning, and climate change mitigation in the country.
- Familiarity with agencies and policies relating to electric mobility and GHG tracking is an advantage
- Proven track record in doing research or implementing programs related to electric mobility and GHG tracking
- Has excellent written, verbal communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office applications required; capability in using statistical software is an advantage.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Team player with the ability to contribute more widely to the direction of Clean Air Asia’s program.
V. DURATION, REMUNERATION, AND OTHER BENEFITS
The Consultant will be engaged until 15 December 2023 under a full-time consultancy contract. The remuneration is competitive but may vary subject to the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience.