Clean Air Asia is an international non-governmental organization leading the regional mission for better air quality, and healthier, more livable cities throughout Asia. Our mission is to reduce air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions in Asia and contribute to the development of a more sustainable, equitable and healthier region. We empower governments and cities by inspiring action and focusing efforts on the planning and implementation of solutions at scale, fostering regional cooperation to address issues of mutual concern, and ensuring the integration of air quality management across sectors and institutions. Our work focuses on implementing solutions that reduce air pollution, its detrimental health impacts and mitigate the climate crisis. We do so by providing policy guidance, building capacity, and making a compelling case for action among stakeholders at city, national, and regional levels. Since 2008, we have been a United Nations-recognized partnership comprised of more than 250 organizations in Asia and internationally. Our headquarters are in Manila, Philippines, and we have offices in Beijing, China, and New Delhi, India.
Clean Air Asia is currently recruiting for a full-time Director, to set up and subsequently lead and manage our representative office in Indonesia. The Director will provide strategic direction, leadership, and operational management of the Representative Office and, as appropriate, our work in Indonesia. The role will also involve working (remotely) with individual staff, teams and working groups within the organization – as well as with key external stakeholders.
About the role:
Based in Jakarta, the Director will provide strategic and operational leadership for the Representative Office, ensuring ongoing development and successful delivery of its strategy and initiatives. The successful applicant will be required to maintain senior relationships with funders, government, and as well as private sector stakeholders to facilitate the ambitious goals of the Representative Office and the transformation we seek in Indonesia. The Director will lead a small team as well as new business development efforts to expand and grow our work in Indonesia in collaboration with key stakeholders, our current funders, and partners while also ensuring high-quality delivery of our Indonesia strategy. To be successful in this role, you will need experience in setting strategic program direction, program management and leadership, and business development as well as being able to manage external relationships to a high level of success. An understanding of international resource mobilization is desirable.
Reporting to: Executive Director of Clean Air Asia
Salary: Competitive for the NGO sector
The Clean Air Asia Indonesia Director will support the implementation of Clean Air Asia’s national strategies and projects and develop new work in the country. The post holder will build our profile in Indonesia and strengthen our impact. She/he will be an ambassador for Clean Air Asia in Indonesia, representing the organization in the media and to donors, governments, partners, opinion makers, and leaders.
As a first priority, s/he will assume the role, formally, as the ‘Head of Representative office’ including managing the process of registering and setting up the representative office, including navigating relevant official processes and filings with the relevant authorities. An organization has already been identified to physically host the office.
The Director’s responsibilities include supporting the implementation of our Indonesia strategy in line with overall Clean Air Asia work; establishing further activities both in Indonesia and the region; and management of staff and consultants. The post holder will be responsible for ensuring the financial stability of the Representative Office by identifying fundraising opportunities and developing and maintaining good relationships with existing and potential foundations and funders.
Responsibilities and scope of work:
A. Management and organizational development
- Initiate the process of registering the Indonesia Representative office, following through this process to complete registration, including being the formal ‘Head of Representative Office.’
- Establish the extent of activities that can be undertaken by the Representative Office as well as supporting the implementation of activities that are undertaken and implemented in Indonesia by the Clean Air Asia HQ in Manila.
- Oversee the general operations of the Indonesia Representative Office, including the preparation, control, and monitoring of financial budgets, subject to signing limit, approval of disbursements from Representative Office funds, coordination of administrative functions, and preparation of reports required by Clean Air Asia management in Manila, Philippines.
- Coordinate the activities of the Indonesia Representative Office with the wider Clean Air Asia work.
- Co-supervise staff (initially 1 staff), including target setting and performance evaluation.
- Take a lead role in shaping and supporting the implementation of the Clean Air Asia Indonesia strategy.
- Take an active role in the overall Clean Air Asia management team.
B. Resource mobilization, project development, and implementation
- Develop new air quality management initiatives in line with the Clean Air Asia Indonesia strategy to be presented for funding to the private sector, international development agencies, and other possible funders.
- Keep track of trends and developments on air quality management and related areas in Indonesia and its co-benefits to identify opportunities for new and innovative programs and projects.
- Work closely with other Clean Air Asia managers (based in Manila, Beijing and Delhi) to identify, develop and secure funding for regional / sub-regional /national and city-specific projects in Indonesia.
- Within the legal framework of a Representative Office, support project delivery, including preparation of work plans, monitoring the progress of implementation, output delivery, quality assurance, evaluation, and budget and contract administration.
C. Policy and Quality Control
- Lead on results-based management and monitoring and evaluation for Indonesia, ensuring that all projects and programs of work are designed for impact and are effectively implemented, monitored, and evaluated.
- Develop and maintain tools, approaches and/or resources to support the implementation and management of projects ensuring their delivery on time, on budget, and of highest quality.
- Lead the development of the annual work plan and priorities for the Representative Office in support of the Indonesia strategy.
D. Profile and communication
- Maintain and strengthen our profile in Indonesia and beyond, including by securing high-profile media coverage for our activities.
- Ensuring Clean Air Asia Indonesia’s work and messages are well covered and understood across Clean Air Asia’s main communication channels.
- Plan and implement the communication activities of Clean Air Asia Indonesia across programs and projects.
- Responsible for Clean Air Asia Indonesia brand presence on all our social media venues including (but not limited to) Facebook, Twitter, and main websites.
- Essential experience:
- Understanding of the environmental challenges facing Indonesia and cities in Indonesia
- Ideally, experience in operating and setting up a representative office
- Leadership and people management experience demonstrating the ability to translate ideas into actions; monitor multiple work streams; co-ordinate staff, contract partners and stakeholders – all while employing a consultative and collegiate decision-making style
- Proven experience in working with senior-level public and/or private sector decision-makers and communicating with a variety of audiences and media
- Track record of successfully leading and managing projects with multiple stakeholders in Indonesia
- Experience and technical understanding of environmental, sustainable development and/or air quality issues would be an advantage.
- Proven demonstrable and successful experience of effective project management, including preparing operational plans, with clearly set milestones and achievable targets.
- Understanding and proven experience of complex partnership management involving multi-layered stakeholders including city representatives NGOs and government representatives.
- Experience of research management and of producing and delivering high quality actionable outputs
- A minimum of five years relevant work experience with major project management duties including an understanding of environmental issues and/or challenges facing Indonesia with respect to air quality or climate change mitigation
- A minimum of three years’ demonstrable leadership experience
- Higher education qualification in international development, environmental issues, international affairs, or similar relevant to the post
- Proven skills in managing staff and managing a budget.
- Ability to precisely communicate inside the organization as well as at high-level external meetings, media work, and stakeholder meetings.
- Proven and strong strategic thinking capacity
- Excellent public speaking, writing, and editing skills in English,
- Understanding and experience in working in a multicultural environment and delivering major programs across different cultures and locations
- Strong negotiation skills
- Personal Qualities:
- Strong commitment to Clean Air Asia’s mission approach and values
- Flexible and adaptable with good interpersonal skills and a ‘can do’ approach.
- Ability to lead and inspire a small team.
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to develop strong and trusting relationships.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Dependable and reliable with the ability to be productive under time pressure.
- Very well organized, capable of building productive and positive internal and external relationships for the Indonesia Representative Office
- Positive, resilient, and supportive