Clean Air Asia is an international non-governmental organization leading the regional mission for better air quality, and healthier, more livable cities throughout Asia. Our mission is to reduce air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions in Asia and contribute to the development of a more sustainable, equitable and healthier region. We empower governments and cities by inspiring action and focusing efforts on the planning and implementation of solutions at scale, fostering regional cooperation to address issues of mutual concern, and ensuring the integration of air quality management across sectors and institutions. Our work focuses on implementing solutions that reduce air pollution, its detrimental health impacts and mitigate the climate crisis. We do so by providing policy guidance, building capacity, and making a compelling case for action among stakeholders at city, national, and regional levels. Since 2008, we have been a United Nations-recognized partnership comprised of more than 250 organizations in Asia and internationally, with six Country Networks (Indonesia, Malaysia, Nepal, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, and Vietnam). Our headquarters are in Manila, Philippines, and we have offices in Beijing, China, and New Delhi, India.
We are currently recruiting for a full time Air Quality Specialist to join our dynamic team at Clean Air Asia in Manila, Philippines. A self-motivated and independent individual with technically-sound knowledge and skills in atmospheric science and air quality management with strong interest in air quality and policy research and communication, and with experience in project management.
II. JOB PURPOSE
The Air Quality Specialist will play a key role in the development, implementation, and review of air quality activities and projects of Clean Air Asia. He/she is expected to provide the technical guidance to effectively implement the Air Quality and Climate Change Program of Clean Air Asia. The Air Quality Specialist will contribute to strategic planning and provide technical advice/input to help develop Clean Air Asia’s position in current and emerging air quality and climate change issues in the region.
III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE OF WORK
Under the direct supervision of the Program Manager, the primary duties include:
- Project Management and Implementation
- Manage key projects and lead relevant team members, particularly providing overall direction for research and analysis.
- Lead in implementing projects or components of projects, including taking the lead in work planning (task management) and monitoring and evaluation of project outcomes.
- Lead in the preparation of reports, meeting presentations and proceedings, and organization of workshops and events in key projects.
- Provide direct support for implementation of projects in key strategic project activities such as review of reports, meeting agenda and proceedings, communications, and delivery of presentations.
- Report weekly project updates to discuss project operations and resource management with the Program Manager, except in instances where urgent discussion is needed.
- Manage and review outputs prepared by consultants for technical and other quality criteria.
- Program Development
- Be the lead technical person in the organization with in-depth and most updated knowledge on the air quality management framework and climate change mitigation. This covers guidance areas such as air quality monitoring and standards, emission inventory, modeling, ambient air quality and emissions standards development, communicating air pollution levels to the public, mitigation and control measures, and enforcement. The Air Quality Specialist will help shape Clean Air Asia’s position on current and emerging air quality and climate change issues in the region from all emission sources and solutions to these issues.
- Lead in keeping track of relevant air quality and climate change updates, emerging trends and developments in air quality management and climate change mitigation across Asia.
- Preparing an overview of key and emerging issues governing air quality and climate change within the region;
- Sharing updated information on air quality and climate change with the relevant team members of the Policy, Research, and Outreach Team;
- Providing technical direction in the conduct of research, data analysis, interpretation and presentation of findings, report and recommendation development governing air quality and climate change, including impacts and other technical areas such as co-benefits and cost-benefits analyses.
- Provide technical inputs to fundraising activities, including proposal development, presentation to donors, etc. of the Policy, Research, and Outreach Team.
- Participate in and/or contribute to various supporting activities to implement Clean Air Asia’s Strategy.
- Deliver other tasks assigned by the Program Manager, Deputy Executive Director and Executive Director of Clean Air Asia.
- Staff Management
- Line manage Researchers of the Policy, Research, and Outreach Team in accordance with functional and organizational goals.
- Assess staff’s performance against indicators set out in the annual Performance Development Review Record
- Communicate and ensure understanding of functional and organizational goals to the staff
- Report to the Program Manager on productivity and other performance indicators of assigned team members on a monthly basis or as the need arises.
- Recommend to the Program Manager any training needed by the managed team member to improve performance
- Knowledge Management
- In coordination with the Program Manager and Communications Manager, and with support from the IT Administrator, co-lead with FAS the management of Clean Air Asia’s knowledge resources with final objective of having a referenced documentation system of Clean Air Asia Knowledge Management Library;
- Lead and guide staff, project research assistants, and interns in the maintenance of the air quality database of Asia and undertaking assessments, surveys and analyses of air quality levels and related air quality management indicators;
- Capacity Development (internal)
- Organize targeted brown bags and learning sessions to build the capacity and awareness of staff on key and emerging discourse on air quality, climate change and relevant emission source sectors.
- Partnership Building
- Develop and maintain strong professional relationships with key Clean Air Asia partners and stakeholders
- Represent Clean Air Asia in selected, approved meetings or conferences and effectively communicate Clean Air Asia’s position on technical issues
- Quality Management
- Work with the Deputy Executive Director and Program Manager to ensure technical quality of outputs of staff across Research and Knowledge stream of Clean Air Asia
IV. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS AND CRITERIA
- A Master’s degree in Atmospheric Science, Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Management, Environmental Economics, Environmental Sociology, Development Management, Chemistry, Meteorology, Engineering or any related discipline. An advanced degree and/or skills related to specific fields is an advantage (e.g., environmental and/or public policy, data science, remote sensing, programming). Relevant PhD degree will be an advantage.
- Minimum 5 years of combined work experience on different areas of environmental management and sustainable development, including but not limited to air quality, climate change, energy, policy research, environmental economics, environmental sociology, capacity building, urban development and planning, monitoring and assessment.
- International exposure on policy development work is an advantage.
- Capable of representing Clean Air Asia at high-level meetings and workshops
- Experience in project management and stakeholder coordination
- Strong technical writing skills, with the ability to do research, analyze and present data. Having written publications is an advantage.
- Excellent English writing skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work independently and as part of multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team
- Team player with the ability to contribute more widely to the direction of Clean Air Asia’s program.
- Experience working in different Asian countries is an advantage.
- Be able to travel in and outside of the Philippines, and in Asia.
V. DURATION, REMUNERATION and OTHER BENEFITS
The selected candidate will be appointed for two (2) years under a full time fixed-term staff contract, with possibility of extension based on satisfactory performance. The probationary period is 3 months. The base monthly remuneration is competitive but may vary subject to the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. In addition to government-mandated employee benefits, Clean Air Asia provides HMO medical and hospitalization insurance, 24 days paid vacation leaves, up to 10 days sick leave, and observes 13 public holidays per year. Clean Air Asia also provides opportunities for travel domestically and internationally.
Internationally recruited staff will receive an economy class ticket on start and end of the contract for the person recruited, his or her spouse, and for a maximum of three children under age of 18. If contract is more than two years, return economy tickets covered will be once at least every two years to staff’s home country. Upon signing of the first contract, a settling allowance will be provided to cover set up costs, including shipping charges for personal belongings and accommodation necessities up to three months which can be paid by CAA directly to the provider or on reimbursement basis upon submission of original invoices/receipts.