Clean Air Asia offers opportunities for:
Location: Manila, Philippines
Application closing date: 25 June 2018
Estimated Start Date: 2 July 2018
Clean Air Asia works towards achieving better air quality and livable cities by translating knowledge to policies and actions that reduce air pollution and greenhouse emissions from transport, energy, and other sectors. Clean Air Asia was established as the leading air quality management network for Asia by the Asian Development Bank, World Bank and USAID in 2001, and operates since 2007 as an independent non-profit organization. Clean Air Asia has offices in Manila, Beijing and Delhi, networks in several Asian countries and is a United Nations-recognized partnership of more than 250 organizations in Asia and worldwide.
We are currently recruiting for a full time Technical Researcher to join our dynamic team at Clean Air Asia in Manila, Philippines. A self-motivated and independent individual with technically-sound knowledge and skills in atmospheric science and air quality management with strong interest in air quality and policy research and communication, and with experience in project management.
II. JOB PURPOSE
The Technical Researcher will play these key roles: keep track of relevant air quality updates, emerging trends and developments in air quality management across Asia; manage and implement air quality and related projects; and building partnerships..
III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE OF WORK
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Air Quality Program Coordinator, the primary duties include:
A. Lead in keeping track of relevant air quality updates, emerging trends and developments in air quality management across Asia. This includes:
- Maintaining the air quality database for Asia and undertaking assessments, surveys and analyses of air quality levels and related air quality management indicators;
- Conducting research, data analysis, interpretation of findings and report writing on air quality in Asian cities and countries.
- Be willing to be technically trained on the air quality management framework, including air quality monitoring and assessment, modeling, standards development, communicating air pollution levels to the public, mitigation and control measures, enforcement, cost-benefit analysis and cost effectiveness analysis of various measures, with the intention of using this training to enhance the quality of project delivery and dissemination of knowledge and relevant information.
- Provide technical assistance and support in shaping Clean Air Asia’s position on current and emerging air quality issues in the region from all air pollution sources – industrial (including power generation) sources, motor vehicles, non-road sources, area sources, indoor sources, agricultural burning, among others – and the technological solutions to air pollution.
B. Project Management, Implementation, Reporting and Coordination
- Provide technical expertise and guidance to effectively plan, implement, and evaluate air quality projects.
- Conduct research and analysis; prepare reports, meeting proceedings, presentations; organize workshops, conferences and events related to relevant air quality and climate change projects within the organization.
- Review reports prepared by staff or by consultants for technical quality and other quality criteria.
- Participate in and/or coordinate various supporting activities to implement Clean Air Asia’s air quality strategy in the region.
- Work with the Senior Air Quality Program Coordinator in ensuring the quality of technical outputs of staff across Clean Air Asia’s programs
- Deliver other tasks assigned by the Program Director, Deputy Executive Director and Executive Director of Clean Air Asia
C. Building Partnerships among Clean Air Asia partners
- Develop and maintain strong professional relationships with key Clean Air Asia partners and stakeholders
- Represent Clean Air Asia in selected, approved meetings or conferences and effectively communicate Clean Air Asia’s position on technical issues
- Prepare proposals for Clean Air Asia’s Air Quality and Climate Change program
IV. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS AND CRITERIA
- Master’s degree in Atmospheric Science, Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Policy, Chemistry, Meteorology, Engineering or any related discipline. Relevant PhD degree will be an advantage.
- At least 2 years’ experience working on environmental issues
- Capable of representing Clean Air Asia at high-level meetings and workshops
- Experience in project management and stakeholder coordination
- Strong interest and demonstrated capacity in research, data collection and analysis
- Excellent English writing skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work independently and as part of multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team
V. DURATION, REMUNERATION and OTHER BENEFITS
The selected candidate will be appointed from July 2018 to June 2020 under a fixed term contract with possibility of extension based on satisfactory performance, with a probationary period of 3 months. The base monthly remuneration is competitive but may vary subject to the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. In addition to government-mandated employee benefits, Clean Air Asia provides HMO medical and hospitalization insurance, 24 days paid vacation leaves, up to 10 days sick leave, and observes 13 public holidays per year. Clean Air Asia also provides opportunities for travel domestically and internationally.
VI. HOW TO APPLY
Quoting reference application “Technical Researcher” in the subject line, applicants should email their application letter, current CV (as Word attachments), and sample write ups to Clean Air Asia at email@example.com, on or before 25 June 2018. All applicants should state the reasons for their interest in the position, relevant details of qualifications and experience (inclusion of documents/files demonstrating previous work is encouraged), and contact details for three referees. We encourage early application as applications will be processed as they are received so the recruiting process may end earlier than the closing date. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For further information on the position you may contact Ms. Jovy Corona, firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are accepting interns of varied qualifications for the Clean Air Asia offices in Manila (Clean Air Asia Center), Beijing (China Office) and Delhi (India Office).
Internship applications are accepted throughout the year. Email your expression of interest and CV to email@example.com.
The internship opportunities available are for the following:
Environment Policy Researcher
- Scan the web and provide an overview of existing databases on air quality laws and regulations in Asia and other regions
- Review studies done by Clean Air Asia and collate Asia air quality legislation and regulations
- Assist Clean Air Asia staff in designing an online database of Asia air quality legislation and regulations
Duration: 1-1.5 months
Qualifications: Preferably environmental science or environmental management graduate or student, however, those with policy research background are also welcome; possesses good research skills; can work independently
Air Quality Research Intern
An Air Quality Research Intern is sought to assist Clean Air Asia in updating the Air Quality in Asia: Status and Trends Report and Clean Air Management Profiles (CAMPs).
Duration: 1-1.5 months
Clean Air Asia together with its partners and its country networks release a wide range of publications from the state of the air we breathe, impacts of air pollution and climate change, clean air management measures and stakeholders involvement for Asian countries. Editorial interns assist in the review and proofreading of reports. Click here for the list of publications.
Duration: 1-1.5 months
Lay-out Artist Intern
Graphic artists are sought to assist in the design and layout of:
- Clean Air Management Profile of Asian Countries
- Clean Air Asia Fact Sheets
- Display booth materials
- Annual Report
- Powerpoint Presentations
Interns with background on Communications assist in ensuring effective presentation of Clean Air Asia’s mission by writing articles for publication, preparing videos, organizing events and web content management.
Clean Air Asia will consider suggested topics or proposed research from prospective interns, provided that it fits our mission of promoting better air quality and livable cities in Asia.
Interested applicants are requested to send their CVs and application letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We offer a modest allowance and flexible time during the internship period but do not fund international travels nor provide accommodation to accepted interns.
Internship applications are accepted throughout the year.